- New Dell EMC Strategic Agreement with NVIDIA® to drive best-in-class, time-to-market GPU-accelerated solutions
- Dell EMC HPC delivered systems recognized on TOP500 and Green500 supercomputing lists
- Leading research institutions worldwide continue to leverage Dell EMC solutions to optimize HPC performance, driving cutting-edge research and innovation
HOPKINTON, Mass./ISC17, Frankfurt, Germany - June 21, 2017 -
At ISC17, Dell EMC is announcing an agreement to further democratize and advance HPC, as well as additions to its Ready Solutions portfolio that will help customers further optimize their HPC projects. Working with leading researchers and innovators worldwide, Dell EMC HPC solutions empower customers to make critical advances in industries such as research, life sciences and manufacturing.
New Strategic Agreement and Industry Recognition Underscore HPC Leadership
Dell EMC and NVIDIA have expanded their collaboration by signing a new strategic agreement to include joint product development of new products and solutions that address the burgeoning workload and datacenter requirements, with GPU-accelerated solutions for HPC, data analytics, and artificial intelligence. Additionally, Dell EMC will work with NVIDIA to support the new Volta architecture and intends to launch Volta-based solutions by the end of the year.
Dell EMC delivered systems also continue to earn recognition as industry leaders, with an increasing number of systems in the TOP500 and Green500 lists. Published twice annually, the TOP500 list shows the 500 most powerful commercially available computer systems in the world. The Green500 list provides a ranking of the most energy-efficient supercomputers in the world. Multiple Dell EMC delivered systems appear on these lists, including:
- The Cambridge Research Computing Service at the University of Cambridge is implementing a new $12M system aimed at addressing large scale High I/O data-intensive science cases. Wilkes-2, which appears at #100 on the TOP500 list and #5 on the Green500 list is the largest GPU system in the UK and the highest-ranked Dell EMC delivered system on the Green500 list. Peta4-KNL, #405 on the list, is the largest KNL system in the UK, and brings true petascale research computing within reach of all UK research groups and industries that wish to buy time on the system.
- The recently-upgraded Stampede 2 system at Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) is now at #12 on the TOP500 list and #32 on the Green500 list. It is the highest-ranked Dell EMC delivered system on the TOP500 list. The upgraded system includes the phased deployment of a ~18 petaflop system based on Dell EMC PowerEdge servers including Intel® Xeon® Phi processors. Additionally, Stampede 2 is expected to double the peak performance, memory, storage capacity and bandwidth of Stampede 1. The last phase of the system will include integration of the upcoming 3D XPoint non volatile memory technology.
- The Dell EMC HPC Innovation Lab, which appeared in the TOP500 list in November 2016 with 544 nodes with a mix of Intel Xeon and Intel Xeon Phi processors, now sits at #374 in the new TOP500 list and at #150 on the Green500 list. The lab also includes a 32-node Intel Xeon Scalable processor cluster with Intel Omni-path networking for testing and evaluation, as well as Dell C4130 servers with NVIDIA GPUs and Mellanox IB.
Dell EMC is also collaborating with CoolIT Systems to provide a factory-installed, direct contact CPU liquid cooling solution that will address power and cooling challenges for a wide range of customers. The cold plate solution, designed and manufactured by CoolIT Systems, will be available in a select Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers. It uses warm water to cool the CPUs, eliminating the need for chilled water and reducing cooling energy costs by up to 56 percent for data center infrastructure (cooling PUE). The solution also features increased rack density, enabling customers to deploy up to 23 percent more IT equipment.
Top Researchers Continue to Choose Dell EMC HPC Solutions
Ian Buck, vice president and general manager - Accelerated Computing Group, NVIDIA
“Increasingly, deep learning is a strategic imperative for every major technology company, permeating every aspect of work. Specifically, artificial intelligence is being driven by leaps in GPU computing power that defy the slowdown in Moore’s law. The work we are doing to advance GPU computing alongside Dell EMC will empower AI developers as they race to build new frameworks to tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time.”
Garrison R. Vaughn, NCCS systems engineer, ADAPT Team – NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
“Our leadership challenges us to do new, innovative things, which is where ADAPT came from. ADAPT enables researchers to uncover valuable information, which is why it is critical that the system performs well. The Dell servers, working as compute nodes inside ADAPT, have been real workhorses and have been reliable. That’s impressive, especially with the heat we run through the system.”
Paul Teich, principal analyst, TIRIAS Research
“Dell EMC is moving beyond its vertical HPC segment focus and strengthening its commitment to key HPC platform technologies. A new strategic agreement with NVIDIA for joint innovation in HPC, big data, and machine learning and collaborating with CoolIT Systems for factory-installed warm water cooling systems will accelerate Dell EMC’s mission to democratize HPC.”
Armughan Ahmad, senior vice president & general manager – Ready Solutions and Alliances, Dell EMC
“Dell EMC is proud of our work to help the research community and its customers capitalize on HPC, expanding it from a niche market to a broader audience, from departmental clusters to leadership-class systems. Our commitment to continuing to partner with strong leaders and push the envelope around HPC innovation is solid and growing, as evidenced by our market leadership, industry-leading products, and world-class customers and deployments.”
- Dell EMC HPC Solutions Overview
- Join the Dell EMC HPC Community
- Visit Dell EMC at ISC in booth G731
- Connect with Dell EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and ECN. For the latest news from Dell EMC, follow @DellEMCNews on Twitter
About Dell EMC
Dell EMC, a part of Dell Technologies, enables organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center using industry-leading converged infrastructure, servers, storage and data protection technologies. This provides a trusted foundation for businesses to transform IT, through the creation of a hybrid cloud, and transform their business through the creation of cloud-native applications and big data solutions. Dell EMC services customers across 180 countries – including 98% of the Fortune 500 – with the industry’s most comprehensive and innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud.
The Rubik's Cube makes a perfect gift for any occasion. Learn how to solve the cube on Ruwix.