- EMC expands integrated data protection offerings, optimizing protection of VMware workloads on VMware Virtual SAN, VMware vSphere while making the process fast, simple and efficient
- VCE VxRail Appliance customers can now expand on its built-in protection capabilities and leverage a wider range of EMC data protection products, including EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition, which provides scalable protection storage, cloud enablement, and 50% faster backups
- Launches EMC Data Protection Suite for VMware protection for comprehensive enterprise data in hyper-converged environments
- Becomes the only VM replication vendor to support vSphere APIs for I/O Filtering, enabling fully integrated virtual replication data services through RecoverPoint for VMs
Connect With Us:
- At VMworld: Visit EMC at VMworld booth #1223 to learn more about all EMC products and services that support VMware
- Social: Follow @EMC_News, @EMCCorp, @EMCProtectData and @EMCStorage and join conversations at VMworld with #VMworld
- Learn More: Learn all about EMC’s Data Protection and Converged Infrastructure offerings
- Video: Chad Sakac talks about new EMC Data Protection support for VxRail hyper converged appliances: watch here
HOPKINTON, Mass. - August 23, 2016 -
EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) today unveils new products and support that optimize the protection of VMware workloads across the spectrum of VMware environments to enable protection everywhere. This includes enhanced support for VMware Virtual SAN, VMware vSphere and expanded data protection options for VCE® VxRail Appliances.
The integration between EMC's data protection portfolio and VMware software empowers vAdmins to provision, monitor and manage the protection of their virtual workloads through the standard VMware interface. The updated version of EMC® Data Protection Suite™ for VMware combined with EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition, provide fast, simple and efficient protection for VMware workloads, enabling continuous end-to-end protection through the native VMware interface. Meanwhile, the support of RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines (VMs) for VMware vSphere APIs for IO filtering, empowers vAdmins to manage replication through vSphere Storage Policy-Based Management, leveraging the common VMware framework.
EMC Data Protection and VCE VxRail Appliances
As IT organizations increasingly look to hyper-converged infrastructure appliances (HCIAs) to simplify and improve operational efficiency for more and more use cases, they need a wider range of additional capabilities and more cost effective scaling to support those workloads
VCE VxRail Appliance customers can now expand on its built-in protection capabilities and leverage a wider range of EMC data protection products to provide application consistency for backups as well as comprehensive monitoring, reporting and backup file search capabilities. Since VCE VxRail Appliances are powered by Virtual SAN, they can be deployed with EMC Data Protection Suite for VMs and EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition to provide a simple yet comprehensive solution for businesses which require cost-effective scaling to support workloads, or require comprehensive monitoring, analysis, reporting and backup file search capabilities, as well as backup and recovery and continuous data protection for mission critical applications including Oracle, SAP, DB2, and more.
With today's EMC Data Protection Suite for VMware and EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition announcements, EMC is making the extended protection of Virtual Machines on VxRail Appliances:
- Simplified management makes of data protection for VMs fast and easy
- Centralized monitoring, analysis, reporting and search of backup data gives users one place to find out everything they need to know
- A single vendor approach offers a unified point of contact for sales and support from hardware to software to protection and enables management through a single native interface
- Backup times can be reduced by up to 50% Ψ
- Recovery times are up to 30x faster when compared to traditional image-level restores Π
- By deploying solutions that are built to work together, data protection for VMs on VxRail Appliances can be up-and-running in minutes
- Protection storage requirements can be reduced by up to 30x
- Up to 1,000 virtual machines can be continually protected for zero RPO π
- Software-defined protection storage offers simple deployment
- Support for mission-critical applications, including Exchange, SAP, SQL, SharePoint, Oracle, DB2, Sybase, and IBM Domino for backup and replication π
EMC Data Protection and VMware Virtual SAN and VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering
For organizations leveraging VMware Virtual SAN, the Data Protection Suite for VMware also provides industry-leading Disaster Recovery support for Virtual SAN through EMC RecoverPoint for VMs. Having announced at VMworld 2015 that EMC would become VMware's first replication design partner, this year, EMC becomes the only VM replication vendor to support VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering , as it brings a fully integrated virtual replication data services through RecoverPoint for VMs.
RecoverPoint for VMs employs advanced multi-site synchronous and asynchronous replication technology, offering up to zero RPO with any point in time recovery via a highly resilient, no-single-point-of-failure architecture for the most advanced VSAN topologies. Because RecoverPoint for VMs is storage agnostic, replication is supported between VSAN and non-VSAN environments, enabling even greater flexibility. And VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering integration empowers vAdmins to manage replication through vSphere Storage Policy-Based Management, leveraging the common VMware framework.
EMC Storage and VMware
In addition to its data protection portfolio, EMC will be demonstrating VMware integration in its primary storage arrays at VMworld. EMC Unity is the company's first midrange storage array to deliver native support for vSphere Virtual Volumes and Storage Policy-Based Management. EMC has also made available a free community edition of EMC UnityVSA™ ideal for testing and development usage. This VSA can be deployed in a vSphere environment and provides full access to the HTML 5-based user interface allowing users to get insight into how to use Unity. EMC VMAX offers continued support for Virtual Volumes enabling native integration for enterprise storage.
EMC will also demo the VMware capabilities of its XtremIO all-flash arrays, such as VSI plugin, AppSync and ESA, at the show. With its true scale-out architecture, EMC XtremIO excels by delivering consistent and predictable performance at sub-millisecond response times making it perfect for the demands of businesses running large numbers of VMs. And its integrated Copy Data Management and deduplication offsets the storage demands created by XCOPY to deliver exceptional performance.
EMC Data Protection Suite for VMware is available today. EMC Data Domain Virtual Edition is available today. EMC RecoverPoint for VMs supports VMware vSphere APIs for IO filtering integration today. EMC Unity and EMC VMAX support Virtual Volumes currently.
Beth Phalen, Senior Vice President and GM of Data Protection and Availability Solutions, EMC
“Businesses need data protection everywhere – and that's as true with virtual machines and converged appliances as it is for traditional storage arrays. EMC's portfolio approach to data protection, and deep integration with VMware, means that we're able to offer solutions that can protect data wherever it is and empower our customers to manage their data protection through the native VMware management consoles. EMC's investment and leadership in data protection for VMware environments is a true testament to EMC and VMware's better together strategy.”
Yanbing Li, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Storage and Availability Business Unit, VMware
“Data protection has quickly become a mainstream requirement now that the majority of Virtual SAN customers are running business-critical applications. By integrating with VMware vSphere APIs for IO Filtering, RecoverPoint for VMs is a great disaster recovery solution, offering up to zero RPO with any point in time recovery via a highly resilient, no-single-point-of-failure architecture for the most advanced Virtual SAN topologies. This integration makes it easy for customers to optimize the protection of their VM data and enables our customers to have a tightly integrated, efficient, and resilient solution.”
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.