October 28, 2014
EMC Scores a Cloud Hat trick Acquires Cloudscaling Maginatics and Spanning
EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud Solution and Services Set New Standard for Simplicity, Choice and Agility
- Three new acquisitions extend EMC’s hybrid cloud strategy and vision across cloud infrastructure, storage and data protection.
- The all-cash transactions are not expected to have a material impact to EMC GAAP or non-GAAP EPS for the full 2014 fiscal year.
- EMC acquires Cloudscaling to deliver enterprise-grade, OpenStack® Powered hybrid cloud solutions
- EMC acquires Maginatics to deliver cloud choice with data mobility across multiple clouds
- EMC acquires Spanning to deliver new protection capabilities for “born in the cloud” applications and data
Hopkinton, Mass. - October 28, 2014 -
Today EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) announced the acquisition of three cloud technology companies: The Cloudscaling Group, Inc., Maginatics, Inc. and Spanning Cloud Apps, Inc. Each company brings to EMC deep expertise and powerful capabilities that enable EMC to extend the reach of its hybrid cloud vision across cloud infrastructure, storage and data protection. The acquisitions, together with today’s announcement of the EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud Solution, underscore EMC’s commitment to customers to deliver choice and agility in hybrid cloud deployments.
Businesses are demanding more than ever from IT. They want choice in devices, rapid creation and deployment of new services, and flexibility as to where applications live, how they are managed and by whom. Against this backdrop, they want to do more with less, lower their costs and have the ability to scale instantaneously. To meet these expectations IT organizations must deliver IT-as-a-Service (ITaaS) via a Well-Run Hybrid Cloud that brings together the performance, security, and control of private cloud with the flexibility and cost advantages of public cloud.
New EMC Companies and Capabilities
With today’s acquisitions, EMC broadens its cloud capabilities on three key dimensions: the ability to offer customers hybrid cloud solutions based on OpenStack technology, cloud choice with data mobility across multiple clouds, and new protection capabilities for “born in the cloud” applications and data.
- Cloudscaling is a leading provider of OpenStack® Powered Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) for private and hybrid cloud solutions, and is a founding member of the OpenStack Foundation. Its Open Cloud System (OCS) provides an operating system to manage compute, storage and networking in the cloud. The Cloudscaling OCS supports a new generation of cloud-based applications and provides the agility, performance and economic benefits of leading public cloud services, but it is deployed in customer data centers and, therefore, remains under the control of IT. The addition of Cloudscaling will provide EMC customers with multiple options for running private and hybrid clouds and will help EMC accelerate its infrastructure offerings based on OpenStack technology.
- Maginatics is a cloud technology provider offering a highly consistent global namespace accessible from any device or location, unlocking enterprise hybrid cloud choice and flexibility for EMC customers and partners through interfaces into a variety of private and public clouds. The addition of Maginatics extends EMC’s cloud data protection strategy by enabling unified data protection and management across disparate private, public and hybrid clouds. Maginatics technology also facilitates efficient data mobility across multiple clouds with data deduplication, WAN optimization, handling of large objects and multi-threading. EMC expects to integrate Maginatics technology with existing EMC data protection software, storage and services.
- Spanning is a leading provider of subscription-based backup and recovery for “born in the cloud” applications and data. Spanning solutions prevent business interruption due to data loss in Google Apps and Salesforce.com (a solution for Microsoft Office 365 will be available in the first half of 2015). The combination of EMC’s data protection portfolio and Spanning’s services uniquely positions EMC to help users confidently deploy data protection solutions across all applications and workloads, regardless of where the data is created or where the applications reside.
Cloudscaling CEO Randy Bias and team will join the EMC Emerging Technologies Division led by its President, CJ Desai. Maginatics CEO Amarjit Gil and team, along with Spanning CEO Jeff Erramouspe and team will join EMC’s newly formed Core Technologies Division led by its President, Guy Churchward.
EMC Executive Quote
David Goulden, Chief Executive Officer of EMC Information Infrastructure “We could not be more excited to welcome Cloudscaling, Maginatics and Spanning to EMC. What we have here is a trifecta of customer choice for hybrid cloud environments. Each company offers unique technology for delivering cloud abstraction and flexibility for customers. Together with the new EMC Enterprise Hybrid Cloud olution, EMC customers and partners are better positioned than ever to capitalize on the promise of hybrid clouds and deliver the agility of IT-as-a-Service that their businesses require.”
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.