November 10, 2011
EMC Expands No Compromise Storage for High Performance Computing at SC 11
Collaborates with Los Alamos National Laboratory on Exascale Project; Demonstrates New Proof-of-Concept Technologies
SC11SEATLLE - November 10, 2011 -
- EMC® is collaborating with Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) under a joint CRADA (Cooperative Research and Development Agreement) on several proof-of-concept projects on development of technology for the Department of Energy's Exascale initiatives. Live demonstrations will be showcased in the LANL booth (#2113).
- EMC is announcing that the EMC® VNX7500 is setting a performance density record for Lustre environments-delivering read performance density of 2GB/sec per rack U. The EMC VNX7500 achieved 8 GB/s read and 5.3 GB/s write sustained performance, as measured by XDD benchmark performed on a 4U dual storage processor for Lustre-based high performance computing (HPC) applications (see related news ).
- EMC Isilon continues to deliver ease-of-use and unmatched capacity and performance for no-compromise, scale-out NAS solutions, announcing (see related news ) HPC customer momentum and demonstrations in the EMC Isilon booth (# 2609).
At SC11, the international conference on high performance computing, networking storage and analysis, EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) today expanded its HPC presence—showcasing new proof—of—concept technologies, and demonstrating new technologies developed in collaboration with LANL for its Exascale program—providing the HPC community with "no compromise" storage.
HPC environments crave performance and capacity density—with an end goal of achieving high throughput to power incredibly intensive and demanding workloads. Storage has an unbelievable amount of variety in what applications need to see in performance, availability, scalability, reliability, and data services. EMC's "best of breed" storage portfolio ensures the right storage solution is matched to performance, workflow, application specificity, and data services needs without making such compromises. EMC VNX and EMC Isilon HPC offerings deliver customers the flexibility of 'no-compromise' storage for any HPC environment.
- Extreme HPC with Lustre: In the Government Supercomputing and University Research Labs, Lustre is one of the dominant file systems. VNX with Lustre delivers the bandwidth necessary for these environments. In other vertical markets, including media and entertainment and oil and gas, certain workloads, such as 4K and 8K, also need the single stream performance that the VNX can deliver.
- All other HPC applications: For non-Lustre environments, and all other workloads from VOD (video on demand) to MAM (media asset management) to lower/mid edit (HDTV, 2K) to video archiving to rendering, no-compromise scale-out NAS from EMC Isilon is the right solution.
Learn more about EMC storage and new technology initiatives for the HPC community:
- Storage for Exascale: EMC is collaborating with LANL under a joint CRADA on several proof-of-concept projects on development of technology for the Department of Energy's Exascale initiatives and other data intensive programs, including data storage systems and high performance computing, cyber security, data sharing and data mobility across domains, cloud computing, large scale analytics and materials science. This collaboration enables EMC and LANL to identify, evaluate and develop a range of technologies for extreme high performance computing (HPC) applications. Live demonstrations will be showcased in the LANL booth (#2113).
- Storage for Lustre: EMC will be demonstrating a proof-of-concept demonstration with the VNX7500 and Terascala Integrated Storage Information System (TISIS™) in the EMC Isilon booth (#2609), which delivers record performance density and simplified management for extreme HPC applications made easy (See related news).
- No-Compromise Scale-Out NAS: EMC Isilon continues to be the preferred no-compromise scale-out NAS solution of choice for organizations with high performance computing needs. Organizations across a range of industries are turning to EMC Isilon to help them manage and access their most mission-critical data for timely and accurate analysis, leading to new discoveries, faster product development and better business decision-making. Visit the EMC Isilon booth (#2609) for live theatre presentations. (See related news)
- Storage Powered by Intel for HPC: A proof-of-concept demonstration of the VNX7500, powered by Intel® multicore Xeon® processors, with Terascala's TISIS appliance running Lustre will be showcased in the Intel booth (#2121).
, a part of , enables organizations to modernize, automate and transform their using industry-leading , servers, and data protection technologies. This provides a trusted foundation for businesses to transform IT, through the creation of a , and transform their business through the creation of cloud-native applications and solutions. Dell EMC services customers across 180 countries – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with the industry’s most comprehensive and innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud.