December 14, 2009
EMC Sets New Standard for Data Protection Management Analysis and Reporting
New Version of EMC Data Protection Advisor Unifies Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Capabilities of Backup and EMC Replication Technologies
HOPKINTON, Mass. - December 14, 2009 -
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC), the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, today announced new replication support in its EMC Data Protection Advisor software. Now, users can centrally monitor all major backup applications along with industry-leading replication technologies in both physical and virtual environments. With this new expansion, customers have a single, unified solution that monitors, analyzes, and reports across backup, replication, and NAS infrastructure, leading to improved compliance and reduced risk for data exposure while increasing operational efficiency and lowering costs.
- Organizations of all sizes invest heavily in a range of data protection technologies to enable recovery under various failure and disaster scenarios. However, there is little visibility into these disparate environments to ensure that the data protection solutions are working to meet the appropriate organizational recovery objectives.
- EMC Data Protection Advisor automates the collection of data from applications, hosts and arrays and constantly monitors for exposures and alerts on gaps that could lead to missed service level agreements (SLAs) and data protection objectives. Originally focused on backup environments, the latest version of EMC's data protection management solution expands its monitoring, analysis and reporting capabilities to include replication software, providing a single pane for unified data protection management across backup and replication.
- New EMC Symmetrix® and EMC CLARiiON® Replication Support: Data Protection Advisor now provides data protection management support for replication software on Symmetrix and CLARiiON storage arrays. It creates a unified graphical map of application clients, arrays, devices and replicas that identifies what is working and where replication gaps exist. Easy to use wizards discover the application structure and all the associated storage, devices and replicas. Through automated data gathering and analysis, Data Protection Advisor will capture changes in the recoverability from any replicas. This powerful support allows for new levels of insight leading to improved service level compliance and recoverability of business critical data.
- New Support for EMC RecoverPoint Network-Based Replication: Customers can now leverage Data Protection Advisor to simplify RecoverPoint monitoring and service level compliance. With this new support, customers gain increased insight into replication configuration and performance, ensuring service agreements recovery objectives are being met.
- New Capabilities to Accelerate move to Private Cloud IT: Data Protection Advisor provides enhanced support for VMware with vCenter Server integration, providing detailed backup monitoring, alerting and reporting for individual virtual machines and ESX servers. New enhanced chargeback capabilities for backup – and new chargeback support for RecoverPoint – makes it easier for enterprises to deliver private cloud services by enabling efficient, accurate reporting of resource usage – an important step for building private cloud infrastructures.
- Unified Deduplication Reporting with expanded EMC Data Domain® Support: New Data Domain deduplication storage system support includes expanded reporting for system configuration, power, temperature and fan components. Plus the solution now reports and analyzes deduplication ratios, providing a unified view of deduplication ratios across EMC Data Domain, EMC Avamar® and EMC NetWorker® backup solutions.
- Expanded Support for EMC Celerra® Unified Storage: Data Protection Advisor now delivers graphical mapping of Celerra Replicator software relationships. New monitoring, alerting and reporting on CPU, memory, performance and capacity of Celerra, helping customers ensure performance and maintain high availability requirements.
- Mark Butts, Storage and Data Protection Tower Lead for Nielsen Company, said, "As a current user of EMC Data Protection Advisor, the solution has allowed our IT department to gain the visibility of our backup infrastructure and fix issues before they become large problems or failures. With Data Protection Advisor, we now have a 97% success rate of our backups, which was considerably lower prior to us deploying the solution. Given we manage more than 8 petabytes of information across two data centers, that was huge for us. We're very excited about the new version of the software as we can view and monitor our backup and replication processes under one pane of glass. Now, we'll be able to understand status, compatibility and recoverability of both our backup and EMC Symmetrix and EMC CLARiiON replication, helping our organization drive the highest levels of efficiency and avoid unnecessary costs."
Industry Analyst Quote:
- Steve Scully, Research Manager at IDC, said, "For years, IT organizations have grappled with how to appropriately manage the various aspects of their data protection environments. With the addition of support for replication technologies in the latest release of EMC Data Protection Advisor, EMC takes a significant step in the evolution of data protection management technologies. Customers now have an easy way to automate the process of analyzing application recoverability across multiple data protection technologies, reduce risk of recovery failure, and improve service level attainment."
- Rich Napolitano, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the EMC Unified Storage Division, said, "EMC's advancement in unifying backup and replication analysis in its EMC Data Protection Advisor solution continues to demonstrate our leadership position in data protection management. Unlike other solutions and approaches that only provide a glimpse of ensuring disaster recovery processes work as designed, Data Protection Advisor provides customers with the most complete data protection management solution available in the market today. With the addition of replication analysis and visualization capabilities in our software, we deliver customers the needed automation to simplify daily operations, improve data protection performance and ensure that the most critical information is recoverable within appropriate time objectives."
- EMC Data Protection Advisor, version 5.5, is available immediately from EMC and its Velocity² and authorized partners.
, a part of , enables organizations to modernize, automate and transform their using industry-leading , servers, and data protection technologies. This provides a trusted foundation for businesses to transform IT, through the creation of a , and transform their business through the creation of cloud-native applications and solutions. Dell EMC services customers across 180 countries – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with the industry’s most comprehensive and innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud.