BEDFORD, MA - June 03, 2009 -
RSA, The Security Division of EMC (NYSE: EMC) today announced that its authentication solutions received a "strong positive" rating in Gartner's report entitled "MarketScope for Enterprise Broad-Portfolio Authentication Vendors"1. A strong positive is the highest possible rating given.
"I believe that this 'strong positive' rating reflects upon our continued success in delivering a broad set of authentication solutions to our customers that assure identities and help prevent losses caused by online crime and data breaches," said Tom Corn, Vice President of Product Marketing at RSA. "Our innovative portfolio helps our customers choose the optimal methods of strong authentication by determining the proper balance of risk, cost and user convenience to best meet their unique needs."
According to Gartner, "authentication is a foundational service that supports many information security and compliance functions. It is crucial to authorization and auditing services. Concerns about unauthorized access, especially to financial systems and databases containing private data, are increasing the interest in ensuring that authentication is appropriate to the risks. In some situations, a simple password might provide appropriate levels of assurance and accountability; however, with the increased exposure of corporate systems to external users and more-sophisticated threats, the convenience of staying with passwords is increasingly outweighed by the risks. Thus, many enterprises are independently evaluating — and implementing — new authentication methods to mitigate the risks related to access control and accountability."
RSA Authentication Solutions
RSA's broad and innovative authentication solutions are offered via Software-as-a-Service, on-premise applications and appliance form factors, and include:
- RSA SecurID®, the market-leading two-factor authentication system used by more 40 million people across more than 30,000 organizations worldwide, is engineered to assure user identities and protect against unauthorized access to applications and resources across numerous physical locations. RSA SecurID technology is comprised of both a broad range of hardware and software authenticators that provide end users with a one time password that is designed to change every 60 seconds, as well as its software engine – RSA® Authentication Manager – which scales to support millions of users and provides the benefit of technical certification with more than 300 products. RSA SecurID authenticators include: hardware tokens, USB-based hybrid authenticator with smart chip; On-Demand token for user access through SMS and e-mail and a business continuity option to provide a temporary, expanded license to support a rapidly expanded remote workforce; software tokens integrated with several third party smart phone platforms and devices including all BlackBerry® handhelds, USB flash devices, biometric devices, and trusted computing platforms; and standalone software tokens that include a Microsoft® Windows® desktop token and an Internet toolbar.
- RSA® Adaptive Authentication, a risk-based authentication platform used by more than 8,000 organizations worldwide in the healthcare, financial services, government, insurance, automotive, real estate, manufacturing, and pharmaceutical industries. It is designed for large, distributed enterprise environments to help assure user identities using the RSA® Risk Engine self-learning risk indicators – such as device identification, user behavior profiling, and fraud data from the RSA eFraudNetworkSM community – before interacting with corporate resources and online applications. RSA Adaptive Authentication is engineered to provide convenience for end users through transparent authentication while visible authentication such challenge questions or out-of-band authentication are invoked only when user activity appears unusual or exceeds established policies based upon risk profiles. The RSA Adaptive Authentication platform currently protects more than 225 million people online.
- RSA® Identity Verification, a strong authentication solution designed to assure user identities in real-time and helps prevent the risk of identity theft and fraud. Utilizing knowledge-based authentication technology, RSA Identity Verification is engineered to present a user with a series of top-of-mind questions using relevant facts on the individual obtained by scanning dozens of publicly and commercially available record databases, delivering a confirmation of a user's identity within seconds without requiring a prior relationship with the user. Its Identity Event Module helps improve accuracy and security by measuring the level of risk associated with an identity and allowing the system to adjust the difficulty of the questions during the authentication process to meet the specific nature of the risk. RSA Identity Verification is used by more than 200 organizations in the financial, telecommunications, insurance, and healthcare industries.
- RSA® Digital Certificate Solutions, interoperable modules designed to manage digital certificates and create an environment for authenticated, private and legally binding electronic communications and transactions. Independently tested to scale to more than eight million users per server, RSA Digital Certificate Solutions are built upon open standards, feature interoperability with more than 200 applications, are easy to use and fast to deploy. They include: RSA® Certificate Manager to issue, manage and validate digital certificates; RSA Registration Manager to help streamline the enrollment process for handling large volumes of end-user certificate requests; RSA® Validation Solution to enable immediate validation of digital certificates; RSA® Key Recovery Manager to securely archive and recover encryption keys of users; and RSA® Root Signing Service to enable enterprises to "chain" their certificate authority to RSA's trusted root.
- RSA® Adaptive Authentication for eCommerce is engineered to provide a secure framework for cardholder protection and fraud management. It has authenticated more than 20 billion transactions to date via a range of authentication and card security products, including Verified by Visa®, MasterCard® SecureCode® and JCB J/Secure™.
About the MarketScope
The MarketScope is copyrighted 2009 by Gartner, Inc. and is reused with permission. The MarketScope is an evaluation of a marketplace at and for a specific time period. It depicts Gartner's analysis of how certain vendors measure against criteria for that marketplace, as defined by Gartner. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in the MarketScope, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest rating. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
RSA, The Security Division of EMC, is the premier provider of security solutions for business acceleration, helping the world's leading organizations succeed by solving their most complex and sensitive security challenges. RSA's information-centric approach to security guards the integrity and confidentiality of information throughout its lifecycle – no matter where it moves, who accesses it or how it is used.
RSA offers industry-leading solutions in identity assurance & access control, data loss prevention, encryption & key management, compliance & security information management and fraud protection. These solutions bring trust to millions of user identities, the transactions that they perform, and the data that is generated. For more information, please visit www.RSA.com and www.EMC.com.